Wednesday 28 November 2012

What do you read?

What do you read? Do you have preferred genres? 

Looking at my book shelves I have quite a lot of sword and sorcery, several sci fi (I recently got into Philip K Dick), lots of spy novels from Bond to Bourne and a variety of crime fiction. I also like Alexander McCall Smith's and Ian Banks's Scottish stories and humour; Pratchett, Fforde, Idle etc,.

I also have a lot of non-fiction. Some autobiographies - Jackie Chan, Billy Connolly and a dozen or so rock stars.   There are lots of reference books and a huge pile on esoteric subjects from space-time to the history of learning! 

What I don't have are any books written between 1700 and 1900 except Conan Doyle and Gothic novels. I also have no chick lit. 

How are your bookshelves weighted? 


1 comment:

  1. Ooh a bit of everything I think! Although probably not any sci-fi. The only fantasy I have is Terry Pratchett because although fantastical, it doesn't seem that way (bit like Harry Potter), unlike LOTR which is in a box in the loft as I could never get past a few pages.
    I have a whole bunch of classics, like Charles Dickens (complete set), Jane Austen (complete set, plus some double ups because they have lovely binding!), quite a few travel books, both guide style and travel writing, thrillers, bios - Madjur Jaffrey's 'Under The Mango Tree' is one of the best I've ever read! And I DO have some chick lit, including the ones that started the trend, the inimitable Bridget Jones. They get a bad rap but I think that's generally from people who've never read any. Yes there are bad ones, but there are bad books in every genre. I'm currently reading 'The Devil Wears Prada' which has been on the shelf for some time. Have to say, I do actually prefer the film so far!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Please be kind and thoughtful.